Table of Contents
The most common solar powered parking meters in L.A. are made by IPS Group in San Diego.
- These meters (Pic by jillmotts [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/deed.en CC licensed])
Background Info(Patents, Articles, etc.)
PARKING METER AND A DEVICE THEREFOR USA (Pub. number - US 2009/0159674 A1)
A PARKING METER AND A DEVICE THEREFOR International (Pub. number- WO/2007/063530)
METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR OPERATING A REMOVABLE METER UNIT USA (Pub. number - US 2009/0192950 A1)
flowchart of authorization/management process
mockups of management software and map view of meters
METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR AUTOMATIC LOCATION-SPECIFIC CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT OF A REMOVABLE METER UNIT USA (Pub. number - US 2009/0183966 A1)
<!– Thanks to eecue for pointing us towards the articles. –> LATimes Piece on the meters
Notes“same encryption technology used in many banks to ensure ease and security for drivers with credit cards”* fancy way of saying PCI compliant
“Jammed meters send an instant wireless message to city staffers, who can fix them more efficiently”
“The solar panels on the back of the meters are the main source of power, with support from a backup battery.”
“Dennis Frey, an IPS Group engineer”* Lead Engineer at IPS per LinkedIn
<!–(No active links to LinkedIn since itinforms the profile owner when visited. –>
Staff report on Manhattan Beach IPS meters PDF
NotesThis really just talks about why they didn't go with the multi-space meters rather than anything technical about the IPS meters.
Canyon news article on the demo rollout(2007)
Notes“IPS Lead engineer Frey adds, “No data is stored on the meter. When you insert your credit card, it automatically goes to the bank, so your information is not stored anywhere online or in any sort of database.”
“If someone took a sledgehammer, and slammed the meter they would not be able to take anything except for coins”
Credit Card processing
- The meters process CC transactions and give confirmation very quickly.
- ** GSM
- ** ZigBee
- *** Wireless Mesh Networking
- ** WiFi
- `PCI Compliant`
- Does this mean data is encrypted and sent elsewhere for processing?
- ** Yes. See quote from Frey above.
- <s>Or does PCI compliant demand more from the meter?</s>
- bV note: PCI compliant means that:
- ** cardholder data, if stored, is stored encrypted
- ** full magnetic stripe data as well as cvv code is not stored at all
- ** cardholder data, if transmitted, is transmitted encrypted
- Locate Base Station
- ** Pictures
- ** Info
- ** What are these meters talking to?
- *** Box on pole
- *** Box on ground
- *** ???
Command and Control(C&C)
- Management Interface
- `The System allows Remote Diagnostics and Configuration`
- ** Patent claims management can be done remotely or with handheld unit
- KillerBee( Joshua Wright's Framework and tools for exploiting ZigBee and IEEE 802.15.4 networks)
- ** http://code.google.com/p/killerbee/
- Frequency Counter
- Determine if it's GSM, ZigBee, WiFi, etc
IPS Group URLs
<!–(No active links to IPS to avoid having nsl show up as referrer in server logs. To be replaced with URL redirection service links that strip referrer) –>
- IPS Group Inc.
- Product brochure for current IPS models
- Installation video page (video is FLV) for Model 132